Remove All Doubt
Tuesday, September 2
 
Cities Bad. Country Good.

Over the weekend I vacationed in Western Virginia, where Roanoke qualifies as The Big City. While there, I tried to buy some Mountain Dew and a couple of Moon Pies from a convienience store, but found I'd left my wallet behind. The cashier, without blinking an eye, told me to not worry about it, but to just bring the $3 next time I came by.

Do what?? Not in a million years would you get that in a city, where your word of honor and $2.50 will get you a cup of coffee. Its pleasant to be reminded that, at least some places, the social fabric remains somewhat intact, and you can afford to trust others.

As for me, that little exchange left humming "Take me home, country roads, to the place I belong . . . ."
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger