Remove All Doubt
Thursday, September 25
 
Of all the dating reality shows, the Bachelor is definitely the classiest . . . .

Or at least that's what Becky told me at lunch today. While flipping channels last night, she was completely sucked in by the opening episode. That intrigued me. Becky is, after all, reknown for her extraordinary good taste (especially in men) and is the proud holder of a women's studies minor. I don't claim to speak for her (that's dangerous - like I said, she has a women's studies minor), but, this review seems to me to touch both the beauty and horror of the show:
One of the highlights of the show was after the rose ceremony when Heather hysterically cried over being rejected. While sobbing, Heather said she had never truly been rejected
"I'm just so, I thought Bob [the Bachelor] was so cute. I thought he might be the one for me," she said. "I have never truly gotten my heart broken and to get it heart broken on national TV. Why did this have to happen to me?"
As Becky pointed out, there is certainly something interesting about that - namely, is Heather for real? She attended one party with the guy, and now she's sobbing because "he might be the one"?? Heather, honey, you've got some pretty serious emotional issues.

On the other hand, however, it's a bit horrifying that the "highlight of the show" is applying the zoom lens to the emotional issues of a obivously fragile person. Heather is, after all, a real a human being, even if her reactions are pretty unreal.

So what does all this mean, other than I'll have to find someone else to join me for Wednesday night adventures? I come down here: I don't begrudge anyone their entertainment, and all these folks volunteered to be on the show, but, Aunt Sally always told me its not nice to make fun of the freaks, so I'd just as soon leave them alone.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger