Remove All Doubt
Friday, October 10
 
They eat their own, Part II; or "I was poorer than you"

Ah, the great sounds of class warfare blowing on the wind. But this time it's democrats attacking each other, not Republicans. In last night's debate (full transcript here), John Edwards as asked whether he really believed that it was that important that he comes from humble roots, especially since JFK and FDR grew up rich. After he hedged on an answer, we get this follow up:
GREENFIELD: So, if Senator -- if I may... [I]f Senator Kerry or Governor Dean, both born in more comfortable circumstances, lay out their vision for health care and education, is there any reason why we should be more suspicious of them because they didn't share your background?

EDWARDS: No, no. First of all, you've identified two great presidents who come from similar backgrounds. We grew up a very different way, Senator Kerry and Governor Dean and myself.

What I would say to the American people, if you are looking somebody to stand on a stage with George Bush in 2004, which I intend to do, and make our case to the very group of Americans who he has to get in order to be reelected, the working middle class of this country, that we have a more powerful case to make if in fact our advocate, our voice, is somebody who has grown up with it, lived with it and fought for those very people their entire life.

That doesn't mean that Governor Dean and Senator Kerry aren't completely sincere in their ideas. I think the world of both of them. And I think that their heart is in the right place, they want to do the right thing. They have terrific ideas for the future of this country.

But it is a significant difference, and it is a difference between me and at least some of these candidates.

(APPLAUSE)
I think it's that last "APPLAUSE" that strikes me so much - likely Democratic voters applauding someone simply for being born "working middle class." As much as they criticize Republicans (with some cause) for being the party of the wealthy, I just cannot imagine Bush and McCain arguing four years ago over who was more authentically wealthy.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger