Remove All Doubt
Tuesday, November 18
 
Hmmm . . .

I am no an of the Bush administration's steel tariffs. I think they're shortsighted and inconsistent with free trade, which should be the country's posture. But I still find the EU's planned retaliation, which has been sanctioned by the WTO, a little troubling:
[The list of items on which Europe will smack sanctions] includes orange juice and other citrus products from Florida, where Mr Bush’s brother, Jeb, is governor. According to Joe Klein, a journalist, the list prompted Mr Bush to approach Romano Prodi, president of the European Commission, at a summit and ask: “Why are you attacking my family?”
Could the Europeans be hoping to use this trade war to get an administration they would prefer? I can only imagine France loves the idea of a Howard Dean presidency, and maybe this will help them get it.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger