Remove All Doubt
Wednesday, November 5
 
So Apparently My Life Was NOT at Risk . . . Well, it sure felt like it

Disturbing new news for us long distance runners: There is significant doubt that Pheidippides actually ran 26 miles from the Battle of Marathon to Athens, announced victory, then died. The source for this news was concered with the question, why not just use a horse? (a question, I will admit, that is a good one. I mean, horses are fast over long distances - especially this one). I, on the other hand, have always been suspicious that the guy died right over the finish line. I didn't look into it too much, because it makes a marathon look even more macho. Now, however, I'm just going to have to let that go. Marathons are still tough, though. Really.

Tip o' the hat to The Volokh Conspiracy.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger