Remove All Doubt
Monday, October 18
 
Live Blogging Midterm Grading
Some folks do it for the debates. I’m doing it for my midterm grading extravaganza. Basically just to keep myself entertained.

7:35 – First thought: Holy Crap is a stack of 130 or so blue books a big stack. I predict the temptation to have more than the one beer I’ve had with dinner will be a strong one.

7:58 – Herbie Hancock’s Watermelon Man is currently the leading candidate for best grading song. Smooth enough to relax you, peppy enough to keep you grooving.

8:15 – Look. I used to be a lawyer. I spent more than enough time with people who say a lot without saying anything at all, so God bless the kids who just admit the don’t know the answer. I wish I could give them bonus points for not making me read some pile of foolishness.

8:17 – And God bless those with good handwriting. I can’t imagine how much more I’ll love them when I start grading the essay.

8:38 – two short questions down. 8 to go. Ugh. I gotta get faster than this.

9:12 – Three questions down. Take 5 makes a strong move into second place on best grading songs, but can’t overtake Watermelon Man. Coffee calling, but I will resist for one more question.

9:24 – We’ve just passed the Law Firm point – the time at which, were I billing at my approximate law firm rate, I’d have already earned all the money I’ll get for grading these papers.

9:25 – No, student X, the U.S. did not use napalm in the 1920s.

9:26 – Did we use napalm in the 1920s?

9:27 - No, says Google, thankfully confirming my belief since I'd already marked it in pen.

9:28 – Ah, the old gorilla war. Has anyone ever figured out how the rebels gets the gorillas to fight for them?

9:36 – Horace Silver’s Song for My Father takes second place on the Songs to Grade to top ten.

10:05 – 4 questions down. I call a hasty retreat to plan a sneak attack tomorrow. I fear a Gallipoli.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger