Remove All Doubt
Friday, April 22
 
Didn't know where to put this
I decided here because I don't have anything scholarly to say about it. But, it is about scholarship. Do we really need a special academic journal dedicated to the work of JRR Tolkien? I know there are a lot of academics who played a lot of Dungeons and Dragons, but are there really 4 good articles on Tolkien than need to come out each year? I don't know that I've overwhelmed by the current choices:

Light-elves, Dark-elves, and Others: Tolkien's Elvish Problem
The Adapted Text: The Lost Poetry of Beleriand
Do the Atlantis story and abandon Eriol-Saga"
Sir Orfeo: A Middle English Version By J.R.R. Tolkien
Identifying England's Lönnrot
When Philology Becomes Ideology: The Russian Perspective of J.R.R. Tolkien
Tolkien's Prose Style and its Literary and Rhetorical Effects
Comments:
Well, if I ever want to go back to grad school myself, I know what I'm studying. No doubt there is a PhD waiting just in the interpretive decisions made in the films.

Working title: "From Middle Earth to Hollywood: Towards a Transformative Hermeneutics of Adaptation."
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger